• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Does Atrovestatine (& Co) have any real benefit?

Jamshyd

Bluelight Crew
My family doctor, being the good entrepreneur all doctors should be, managed to sell my parents on the Lipitor fashion many years ago. Of course, now they are basically hooked on it.

For my father, I can see an excuse as he had open-heart surgery.

But my mother was perfectly healthy when she started taking it. Now my mother is not very healthy, with thyroid imbalance that has lead to diabetes. Once she started taking insulin, she was unable to walk because of arthritic pain. Her endocrinologist told her to stop the lipitor, and lo and behold, the arthritis went away.

The idiot of a family doctor told her that her cholesterol has sky-rocketed and that she has to use it. Once she was back on it, the arthritis returned.

Yesterday she couldn't take it anymore, and stopped the lipitor. Now the pain is gone again. (Please note that when I say "lipitor" I mean atrovestatin AND the other "vestatin" drugs the family doctor has pushed on her thus far).

So I wonder, really, what point do these drugs have? To me, it looks like just-another-moneygrab for big pharma.

Opinions?

This thread is pretty old, but here I am, curious about statins for high ldl cholesterol. Looks risky. I will try my ass off to change my lifestyle before I take the first pill. I guess opiates probably add to bad cholesterol through constipation? Guys? Any thoughts? Thanks :)

So I wonder, really, what point do these drugs have? To me, it looks like just-another-moneygrab for big pharma.

I'm inclined to agree. They tried to push that shit on me a few years ago because my bad cholesterol was supposedly somewhat high. I told them no deal. There's a lot of controversy when it comes to this... Some people will say you shouldn't worry as long as your cholesterol is under 300, others (like my drs office) will try to push the drugs at people with only slightly higher cholesterol levels.

I'm inclined to agree. They tried to push that shit on me a few years ago because my bad cholesterol was supposedly somewhat high. I told them no deal. There's a lot of controversy when it comes to this... Some people will say you shouldn't worry as long as your cholesterol is under 300, others (like my drs office) will try to push the drugs at people with only slightly higher cholesterol levels.
thanks nuttynutskin :)

This thread is pretty old, but here I am, curious about statins for high ldl cholesterol. Looks risky. I will try my ass off to change my lifestyle before I take the first pill. I guess opiates probably add to bad cholesterol through constipation? Guys? Any thoughts? Thanks :)

I´m glad you found good responses.
Is it really true that opiates causes cholesterol problems?
It sure does cause constipation but there are many ways to solve that, specially if you get it through a prescription.
I´ve noticed so many posts with suggested simple over the counter teas and herbs. Anyways.
If you use fish oil power vitamin, power whatever, it does work and it´s also good for your body. I´ll search for the exact name and let you know.

I´m glad you found good responses.
Is it really true that opiates causes cholesterol problems?
It sure does cause constipation but there are many ways to solve that, specially if you get it through a prescription.
I´ve noticed so many posts with suggested simple over the counter teas and herbs. Anyways.
If you use fish oil power vitamin, power whatever, it does work and it´s also good for your body. I´ll search for the exact name and let you know.
Thanks Erik, I'm looking into the constipation correlation with cholesterol. At least we have psyllium husk :) I've noticed kratom is elevating my bp 8o

I had my cholesterol and LDL levels checked after a year of very healthy eating, a zero cholesterol diet and regular cardio, and my LDL was like 50% higher! I also take turmeric, ginger, olive leaf and more every day. So I dug the lipitor out of the back of the junk drawer and decided to take 10mg every other day to see if I can improve my LDL and cholesterol. Anybody else with shitty cardiovascular genetics trying this type of dosage? What about it? Am I making a good move in your humble opinion ;) ??